Nottingham Forest U23s suffered a fourth consecutive defeat in the Premier League Cup on Friday night at the hands of AFC Bournemouth.

The Cherries remain top of the group courtesy of Alex Dobre and a Kyle Taylor brace.

Nottingham Forest icon Andy Reid joined the Academy coaching staff in midweek as a technical coach, but the young Reds were unable to give him the welcome back he would have hoped for as Chris Cohen’s side were beaten at the Impact Arena.

The hosts created the first chance as Rama burst forward from the left-back position and crossed for Brennan Johnson but he flicked his header wide.

Bournemouth almost had the lead on six minutes as Jordan Zemura’s cross found £13m signing Lloyd Kelly but his header was cleared off the line.

Forest went behind on 16 as KYLE TAYLOR found space in the box and finished past George Shelvey. Forest 0 – 1 Bournemouth.

The Cherries doubled their lead straight from kick-off, ALEX DOBRE finishing nicely into the far post, and Forest appeared to be sinking without trace at the Impact Arena. Forest 0 – 2 Bournemouth.

Bournemouth looked comfortable passing out from the back before and after they went ahead, and largely moved the ball through the thirds well.

Their possession meant Alex Mighten was largely starved of service for much of the early stages but was as single-minded and direct as ever whenever he did receive the ball.

Goalscorer Taylor looked dangerous running directly through the middle though and gave the Forest defence a constant headache throughout the first half.

Kieran Hayes might have reduced the arrears two minutes from the break but fell while shooting and his effort went over the Bournemouth bar. Forest’s penalty shouts were then rejected by the referee.


Toby Edser nearly pulled one back for Forest on 49 minutes but his shot rolled agonisingly across the face of goal allowing the visitors to clear their lines.

They had another chance five minutes later but Dennis stopped Hayes’ effort with a stunning save from point-blank range.

The Cherries extended their advantage further on 58 minutes though as TAYLOR raced through and slotted calmly past Shelvey to secure a brace and another three points in the group. Forest 0 – 3 Bournemouth.

Keith Asare replaced Rama as the Reds chased a way back and cut inside before shooting over from the left on 68 minutes.

Bournemouth were forced into making their final change after 78 as the injured Tyrell Hamilton was replaced by James Oliver.

Brennan Johnson ran off a knock and found space on the edge of the visitors’ box on 86 minutes but his shot skimmed the bar and went over to deny the Reds a consolation.

Johnson rattled the bar in stoppage time with a curling free-kick but Forest were unable to find the net.


Nottingham Forest U23s visit Wigan Athletic U23s in the PDL on Tuesday January 21. Kick-off at Christopher Park is at 2pm.

They secured a 1 – 0 victory over the Latics in October’s reverse.

Nottingham Forest: Shelvey, Gabriel, Rama (Asare 62′), Fornah, Stewart, Barnes, Walsh (En-Neyah 62′), Edser, Hayes (Gomis 68′), Johnson, Mighten.

Unused subs: Statham, Sole.

AFC Bournemouth: Dennis, Gillela, Zemura, Jordan, Cordner, Kelly (Ibsen Rossi 59′), Dobre, Butcher (Sherring HT), Hamilton (Oliver 78′), Kilkenny, Taylor.

Unused subs: Muray, Besant.

Goals: Taylor 16′; Dobre 17′; Taylor 58′.


One reply on “Nottingham Forest U23 v AFC Bournemouth U21 – 17/01/20 – Premier League Cup”

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: